FOIMan examines the Information Commissioner’s proposals for a new duty to document.
In December, the Information Commissioner, Elizabeth Denham, gave a speech at an event celebrating 250 years of freedom of information. During the speech Ms. Denham indicated that she wanted the government to legislate for a “duty to document”.
Amongst the issues explored are:
- what effect FOI has had on public sector records management;
- how the Information Tribunals have dealt with the issue of records management;
- what problems is the Commissioner seeking to resolve;
- what tools are available to the Commissioner now;
- and finally, are there any existing duties to document along the lines that Elizabeth Denham suggests?